Can a Palo Alto Chiropractor Help Shoulder Pain?
Managing pain depends on the speed with which you attend to it. Ignoring pain leads to significant damage to your body which could lead to chronic conditions. Should you call a chiropractor when you experience shoulder pain? The answer is yes. You are not in a position to know the severity of your condition if any on your own thus, seeking chiropractic care in Palo Alto is the best way to go in that you will be able to know the depth of what you are dealing with.
Signs That You Need Treatment:
- Persistent shoulder pain that persists for some days
- Difficulty in using your arms to carry objects
- Frequent shoulder pains with a history of mild and acute pain
- The occurrence of shoulder pain during your bedtime
- Injuries that result in deformities at the joint
- Difficulty in raising your arm
- Infection signs which include fever, swelling, warmth, and redness
- Significant bruising or swelling around your arm or joint
The Best Treatments for Shoulder Pain
Proper treatment of shoulder pain depends on the proper diagnosis by a Palo Alto chiropractor. He or she needs to identify the cause of the shoulder pain before prescribing any treatment for you. If you are not confident with your diagnosis, you should avoid engaging in any home treatment and seek medical care before you proceed. Shoulder pain treatments include:
The first step for shoulder pain treatments is to rest the joint in order to minimize the pain and inflammation. You should also be careful with the amount of rest you have because too much rest will result in a frozen shoulder.
Heat and Ice Application
You can use heat and ice pads on your shoulder as long as you use them correctly. They are among the popular treatments of shoulder pain.
When you stretch the tendons and muscles that surround your joint, you can ease the shoulder pain or make it substantially worse.
Exercises are a great step when it comes to rehabilitation but you need to be careful with the exercises you do in order to avoid worsening your situation.
Common Causes of Shoulder Pain
- Neck and mid-back pain, which is usually transferred to the shoulder. Your chiropractor will examine your mid-back and neck when you complain of shoulder pain.
- Tendinitis and bursitis of the musculature of the rotating cuff which causes impingement syndrome.
- Frozen shoulder, which leads to restricted movement of the shoulder. It is not very common but is often misdiagnosed.
- Calcific tendinitis, which involves the deposits of calcium within a tendon particularly the rotator cuff tendons. Treatment depends on the extent of the symptoms.
- Shoulder instability, which may be caused by an injury leading to dislocation, or develop over time.
- Shoulder dislocation that results from a traumatic injury causing the ball part of the shoulder joint to slip out of the pocket.
- Acromio-Clavicular tear (ligament injury) due to the disruption of the acromioclavicular joint.
- The labral tear which occurs in different patterns hence specific treatment is needed for a specific pattern.
- Shoulder arthritis is rare but when it occurs, you may require a surgery for joint replacement. Arthritic changes occur commonly on the acromioclavicular joint, which is between the shoulder blade and the collarbone.
- The rapture of the upper part of the biceps tendon can cause shoulder pain.
- Referred pain from internal organs like the heart (heart attacks), pancreas and gallbladder can be felt on your right and left shoulders. Gallbladder pain can be felt through your right shoulder while a pain in your pancreas and heart attacks can be felt through your left shoulder.
Chiropractors in Palo Alto are trained to screen for all chronic conditions before they begin using any of the chiropractic care techniques and therapies. This is because it is easier to treat chronic diseases when discovered in the early stages than when they have developed over time.